Evaluation of Swabalambi project
The VAANI team conducted an evaluation of the Swabalambi project, which showed that progress has been made in Swabalambi where deafness is concerned. The children under VAANI’s programme are doing well and their families are happy with their progress in the last two years. They have reached a stage now where they can be categorised into two – literacy and vocational.
Parents Workshop in Kahilipara
A parent’s workshop on Social & Emotional needs of Deaf children & their families was conducted on 25 August at in Kahilipara area of Guwahati. Around 42 parents from different districts of Assam came for this workshop.
The objective of this training programme was for the parents to understand:
- the social-emotional needs of deaf children
- learn about healthy parent-child relationship
- the need for developing a positive self image in the deaf child
- the important role of a family in child’s personality development and satisfaction of emotional needs
- complex feelings of shock, anger and grief of parents of deaf children
- problems faced by parents /needs of parents and resources available to each parent.
Workshop on Social & Emotional needs of deaf children & their families for DPOs and RTs in Assam
A workshop on Social & Emotional needs of deaf children & their families was conducted for the District Programme Officers and Resource Teachers of Assam. The objective of this training programme was for the teachers and the DPOs to understand the emotions and difficulties faced by families of deaf children, the role of parents and the role of teachers in the life of a deaf child. There were 46 participants from all over Assam for this workshop.
Workshop on Social & Emotional needs of deaf children & their families in Meghalaya
A workshop on Social & Emotional needs of deaf children & their families which was also conducted in Meghalaya on 23 & 24 August. This workshop took place in the auditorium of School and Centre for Hearing Handicapped Children, Meghalaya. Around 29 parents participated in the workshop.